Sunday, March 14, 2010

How it started...

On the 26th of May, 2009, at 19.00, I picked up a swarm of bees from a friend at the local Bee Keeping association. They were in a cardboard box at some local allotments. I put them in the car, with my bee suit on, and drove home. I took them down to the new hive I had recently bought and dropped them into the hive. I gave them a small amount of sugar solution to get them started. I couldn't see the queen, but there were plenty of bees in there looking happy enough. I put the hive back together and crossed my fingers that they would stay there and do well.
I was lucky. They took to the hive very happily and soon started drawing the frames out and soon they were making honey and the queen, who had indeed survived the trip, started laying eggs. The colony was successfully housed and began to grow from there...

No comments:

Post a Comment