Two weeks of cold weather was unexpected; arctic winds apparently. This has meant that my Alpha colony has not been able to get out and build their supplies. Also, when they have been out, there have been fewer plants in flower compared to usual for this time of the year. When I checked them today, there were high numbers of bees in compared to two weeks ago, but their stores were very low. This means I need to give them some fondant to feed on otherwise some of them may starve before new supplies are available. However, I am delighted to see so many bees and brood in the hive. The queen has been laying well, although I have ordered a replacement queen as she is at least two years old now. There are delays on getting new queens right now as the Ash Cloud hit flights have affected supplies in the UK!